When I was growing up my absolute favorite thing to eat at my grandma’s house was her broccoli casserole. It is my ULTIMATE comfort food. I wanted to create a version that I could whip together myself and could be eaten as a meal all on it’s own or as a side dish, and this one does not disappoint! My five year old just gobbles it up (bonus!)
My Vegan Broccoli Casserole is packed with protein, low glycemic carbs as well as fat. As a dietitian I always think about creating dishes with this balance because all of these macronutrients work together to keep you satisfied, prevent cravings and provide the ultimate nourishment.
Also it’s 100% plant- based, dairy free and gluten free for those have those dietary restrictions.
It’s amazing right out of the oven piping hot as a side dish, or on it’s own. But my favorite thing to pair it with is sweet potato fries! I also love it as cold leftovers with a salad.
Here is it, I know you and your family will love it!
4 cups chopped broccoli
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
1-540 ml can white beans
1-400 ml can light coconut milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a casserole dish.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup quinoa and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer until water absorbed (about 10 minutes)
- While quinoa simmering, add all sauce ingredients to a blender. Process until well combined.
- When quinoa finished cooking, mix together all casserole ingredients and sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add to prepared casserole dish and bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Let cool a bit before serving.